The brick and stone High Victorian Gothic hall was designed by Charles Brigham and built in 1892. It was given to the town by Henry Huttleston Rogers, who also made other significant contributions to the town, including the library. The building’s granite trim elements were quarried in St. George, New Brunswick and Red Beach, Maine.
The town hall was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
Financed by Henry H. Rogers as a gift to the town from his first wife, Abbie, this French Gothic building was the second of Rogers’ buildings to be designed by Charles Brigham. Originally, it housed all of the town government offices, as well as the Post Office and the police station with three iron-barred jail cells. It is still home to several municipal offices.
The interior features quartered oak paneling, solid brass fixtures and leaded, stained glass windows. The tower houses a four-faced clock. The magnificent auditorium on the second floor, restored in the 1990s, has been the site of many town meetings, dances, concerts, plays and theatrical performances. Humorist Mark Twain, a close friend of Rogers, appeared on stage here on February 22, 1894, as the keynote speaker at the building’s dedication ceremony.